Legal Support for the Child and R.A. 9262

Through all the family cases that we’ve handled, we’ve come to accept, without discounting the contrary, the sad fact that bad blood exists between the opposing parties (e.g., estranged spouses in annulment/separation/property cases, siblings and relatives in estate proceedings). In particular, with respect to custody-support cases over children, it’s easily understandable that custody is one of the more contested issues. However, the issue on child support should not be as complicated.

Well, it shouldn’t be as complicated, but reality makes it so.

Articles 195 and 196 of the Family Code enumerate the persons who are under obligation to support each other, thus: (1) The spouses; (2) Legitimate ascendants and descendants; (3) Parents and their legitimate children and the legitimate and illegitimate children of the latter; (4) Parents and their illegitimate children and the legitimate and illegitimate children of the latter; (5) Legitimate brothers and sisters, whether of full or half-blood; and (6) Brothers and sisters not legitimately related, whether of the full or half-blood, except only when the need for support of the brother or sister, being of age, is due to a cause imputable to the claimant’s fault or negligence.

On the other hand, the amount of support should be in proportion to the resources or means of the giver and the necessities of the recipient, pursuant to Articles 194, 201 and 202 of the Family Code:

Art. 194. Support comprises everything indispensable for sustenance, dwelling, clothing, medical attendance, education and transportation, in keeping with the financial capacity of the family.

The education of the person entitled to be supported referred to in the preceding paragraph shall include his schooling or training for some profession, trade or vocation, even beyond the age of majority. Transportation shall include expenses in going to and from school, or to and from place of work.

Art. 201. The amount of support, in the cases referred to in Articles 195 and 196, shall be in proportion to the resources or means of the giver and to the necessities of the recipient.

Art. 202. Support in the cases referred to in the preceding article shall be reduced or increased proportionately, according to the reduction or increase of the necessities of the recipient and the resources or means of the person obliged to furnish the same.

If you’re a parent, it is safe to assume that you would want the best for your child and you wouldn’t hesitate to provide adequate support. However, it’s unfortunate that when it comes to support for the common children (whether legitimate or illegitimate), so many fathers still fail (or worse, simply refuse) to provide adequate support. Whatever the reason is, and regardless of whether or not these reasons are correct, the problem became pervasive, so much so that Congress saw it fit to “criminalize” (only against fathers) the withholding of support in certain instances. Not everyone knows that this is covered under Republic Act No. 9262, otherwise known as the “Anti-Violence Against Women and their Children Act of 2004”.

Not everyone also knows that R.A. 9262 provides for criminal sactions or penalties for failure to provide support or withholding custody, in certain cases. Well, now you know.

693 thoughts on “Legal Support for the Child and R.A. 9262

  1. Mae

    What if the father is not giving support eversince and he has signature in the birth certificate claiming the son. The son is using his surname also. He cannot work anymore because he got an accident and he cannot walk anymore. All i want is the surname of my son to be change and he is not supporting the child since birth but he doesnt want to give it to me. Can i file a case even on his situation? Or can i change the surname of my son to mine? Give me an advice please my son is 7 yrs old now and i want it begore i would get him any documents like passport etc

  2. Philip

    Good day po!

    I really want some advise. a few years already my ex-girlfriend got pregnant but i’m not sure if really mine. merong chances na hindi sa akin pero she threatened me to abort the baby if I didn’t support them because her parent’s didn’t want the baby so I stop my college which is I regret until know to support them. so after the baby was born she didn’t even give my family name to the baby and when they seems to be ok to her parents she’s starting to flirt or chat with some men while I’m working and to the point she even hit me so I decided to broke up with her a few years ago but i continued to buy necessity for the baby but she and her family threatened me not go to there house so I have no choice but to stop. until recently when I’m starting to stand on my own right now from my own sikap and I’m planning to go back to school for next year she’s threatened me to imprison or file a case for not giving a financial support for the baby. FYI my ex-girlfriend has already a boy friend. I just really want some advise because I think that she’s using this law for her advantage or for her revenge and to pull me down.
    Honestly my salary is minimum wage only which is enough to support my necessity and save some. No one is helping me even my parent’s because we just have enough to earn.Can I ask what should I do ?

  3. Rhed

    Hi Atty.

    Good morning. I am not sure if you would notice this but I’m hoping, I’m praying. I just wanna know if what we can do as the “Legal family” of my father. 4 years ago, my father had a mistress na nabuntis nya pero nagkahiwalay din sila nung mga 2 months pregrant yung babae. After 4 years of separation ng father and mother ko, my mother finally decided na bigyan ng chance yung father ko kasi po he’s been asking for it. Bilang anak, syempre gusto ko rin po mabuo ang family ko and this is the best opportunity sakin… samin. Kaya lang, tadhana nga naman po, biglang, nitong mga nakakaraang araw, kung kelan konting usap nalang ay makakauwi na sya, biglang may dumating na mga taga CIDG po sa bahay then hinahanap papa ko. wala po silang iniwan o pinakitang papel. (sa loob po ng 4 yrs na yun, di na talaga nakauwi si papa sa bahay) so di po nila nakuha si papa. na-confirm po ng mga konsehal sa brgy namin na taga CIDG nga then nalaman po namin na may warrant of arrest daw po si papa. Nafile yung case 2016 pa ( we have no idea). Yung kabit ni papa ung nag file. may pyansa naman daw po yung ganun.

    Ano po ba ang pinaka magandang gawin namin?

    Sorry po sa napakalaking abala pero tatanawin ko po tong napaka laking tulong at utang na loob.
    Pasensya na po ulit. Salamat poand God bless.

  4. leonora

    Good day po atty,nais ko pong humingi nang advice , tungkol po sa anak ko, na nabuntis na 16yrs old at 30yr old po ang nakabuntis , naganak na po at ang anak ko baby girl, ngayon po ayawn g anak ko po na ipaipilyedo sa ama , kaya po sa apelyedo namain sinunod sa nya, nagyon pon agaglit ung lalaki kasi po bakit daw hindi pinaepilyedo sa kanya ? At pagh indi po raw bagubin ang epilyedo ng bata hindi po raw cyam ag susuporta sa bata dahil hindip o raw dala ang epilyedo nya, kahit po anong gagawink o po ayaw talaga nga nakk o ipaipelyedo sa kanya

  5. Richellene

    Ano pong gagawin ko kapag yung dati ko pong kinakasama ay hindi nagbibigay ng sustento sa aming anak? Dahil daw wala syang trabaho kaya nga po hindi ko pinapapunta sa kanila ang aming anak.

  6. Pips21

    The parents are not married , then the childs birth certificate is the mothers last name. My question is What cases should be filed if he/she does not support his/her child ?

  7. Rose

    Hi Attorney ang tanong ko po ay maari po ba humingi ng financial support ang anak ko na matagal inabandona ng kanyang ama (almost 21 years na) ? Hindi po kami kasal, bale nanakan lang po ako. Noong maliit pa ang bata ay humingi na ako ng financial support pero binalewala lang niya. Ngayon po ay nagtatanong na ang aking anak kung nasaan na ang ama niya at gusto niyang humingi ng suport dahil sa nag aaral pa rin siya. Medyo nalate na ang pag-aaral niya dahil sa hindi ko na kaya na siya ay pag aralin. Maari ko po bang obligahin ang ama ng anak ko na suportahan siya? Kahit po kusing ay wala po siya naibigay na panggastos sa anak ko habang ito ay lumalaki. alam ko po kung saan siya nakatira.

  8. Jeania

    Hi Good morning. Ako po si Jeania Namol Ako po ay isang single mother halos 7 years na. Matagal na akong nanghihingi ng financial support sa tatay ng anak ko ngunit di nia pinapansin ang mga message ko sa facebook. Ngayon may balak kameng mg file ng demanda under RA9262. Pwede po bang mang yari na mag file din sila ng request na mahiram ung bata kahit 7 years old palang siya? Manghihingi sana po ako ng advice sa issue ko na to. Sana matulungan niyo po ako. Natatakot ako kasi ipahiram ang anak ko dahil baka bigla nilang iatago samin ang anak ko.

  9. Nen

    Gud pm po atty.i have a problem about my situation now ..i have a live in partner for 7yrs he leave us with our 2kids at nag pakasaya sa barkada gabi2x .Iniwan lang kami ng 1,000pesos money and when we meet in the city hall (igdd) para pag usapan ang supporta nang mga bata he just told me that he can only afford to give 4,000 a month for our 2 kids which is he is a seaman and his monthly salary is 60,000pesos.

  10. Dennis Caranay

    Good Day!

    I hope my question enlighten me, I am married for 11 years with 1 son. we’ve got separated last year december 30,2017 for a lot of reasons that she had made. She said that she just wanted to find her self,have some peace even though i know that she has someone and she’s just using those words to change the real story behind the reason she want to go away from me. I have lost of my job and move away fot the pain that i have received from her. i have missed to send money for my son and my son lives on my wifes side since that i dont have a job and a money to send to my son for 3 months not things goes totally different to the reality she’s saying that she will be gonna file a case against me for abandoning my son. I know that she wanted only to harrass me and crush me i have mo plans to go back to her for so many reasons happen due to her lies for the love that i gave to her. all i wanted it to know what is the right way to do to her to not bother me and answer her for anything that she do. she has a lot of dirty things done to me and i know that if she do that all of her lies will comes out.

  11. Cherry

    Hello im filipina whos married to an Australian and we have 2 kids which is 4 and almost 2yrs old living with me here in the Philippines and he have a business in Australia and Singapore. My problem is everytime we are fighting he is threatening me not to give support and sometimes i need to beg for it. Pls help me po.

  12. Rhodora

    Magandang Umaga po Attorney!
    Ako po ay may tatlong anak at hiwalay na po kmi ng aking asawa. Nasa ibang bansa na po cya ilang taon na din po at di po siya nagpapadala at kaylangan pa lagi na ipaalala sa knya. Hindi po ako ngsasabi kung magkno ang dapat nya ibigay pero di po sapat ang bigay nya. Humingi po ako pag may malaking bayaran ang mga anak ko at di kaya na ng aking ina.. Sa ngayon po wala po akong trabaho pero nag aapplay pa ibang bansa din po dahil po may edad na din po ako at di na matanggap dito. Nung may trabaho po ako nun di ako humungi sa knya at kung magkano lang po ang iabot nya sa akin. Pero sa ngayon po kasi lumalaki na po ang mga bata at lumalaki narin po ang gastusin nila.. Ano po ang dapat ko gawin sir? at paano po attorney?
    Sana po matugunan nyo ang aking problema at maraming salamat po.

  13. ricky

    good day atty.

    me and my girlfriend separated pero may anak kami, 1 yr and 6 mos old. the problem is pinalayas nya ako sa bahay and lagi niya ako ginugulpi. di ako bumibitaw kasi mas iniisip ko yung mga gastusin at mga gawain sa bahay. lagi siya nainom pagweekends, kadalasan nakakasama niya ibat ibang lalaki pero at kung minsan umaga na kung umuwi. hindi nadin kami nagtatabi sa room ilang buwan na dahi sinasabe niya at sakin at alam kong may boyfriend siya. at lagi nya ako pinapahiya sa ibang tao. naguusap kami na gusto na nya talaga akong umalis dun sa bahay para maging masaya daw siya at maitira na daw niya yung bf nya dun. masyado akong mabaet. ginulpi pa niya muna ako bago ako umalis sa bahay. simula nung umalis ako every cutoff nagbibigay ako ng gatas at diaper at hindi pera ang binibigay ko kasi baka nga ipang inom lang niya. my question is nagmessage kasi siya sakin na kakasuhan daw nya ako pag hindi daw ako nagsupport ng financial sa bata. parang inantay lang nya talaga na umalis ako dun at nung hindi nakuntento sa gatas at diaper gusto niya kalahati ng sweldo ko mapunta sakanya. which is simula nung umalis ako dun naghanap ako ng tirahan ko na iba at syempre mas lumaki gastos ko. pero mas nahihirapan ako kung kalahati ng sweldo ko kukunin nya at gusto nya nalang ako kasuhan na even in the first place wala sa akin ang problema. maraming salamat po atty.

    1. Atty.Fred Post author

      By way of general information, there is no hard and fast rule as to the amount of support. As noted in the article: “the amount of support should be in proportion to the resources or means of the giver and the necessities of the recipient.”

  14. Jez

    Hi, what if hindi nakapangalan sa kanya? Walang acknowledgement of paternity? Tapos di naman sya nagsusustento? Pwede ko pa rin ba kasuhan yung father?

  15. Carla

    Dear PAO,
    Isa po akong single parent at may dalawng anak .. hiwalay na po ako sa ama nila ng 4years . Pero sustentado po sila .. Ngayon po may naging boyfriend po ako ng 8months hiwalay na po kami ngayon at buntis po ako sa kanyang 3 buwan .. Sinabi ko po sa knya kya lng hindi po nya matanggap .. Ano po kyang pwedeng gawin pra po masuporthn nya ang bata.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.