Legal Support for the Child and R.A. 9262

Through all the family cases that we’ve handled, we’ve come to accept, without discounting the contrary, the sad fact that bad blood exists between the opposing parties (e.g., estranged spouses in annulment/separation/property cases, siblings and relatives in estate proceedings). In particular, with respect to custody-support cases over children, it’s easily understandable that custody is one of the more contested issues. However, the issue on child support should not be as complicated.

Well, it shouldn’t be as complicated, but reality makes it so.

Articles 195 and 196 of the Family Code enumerate the persons who are under obligation to support each other, thus: (1) The spouses; (2) Legitimate ascendants and descendants; (3) Parents and their legitimate children and the legitimate and illegitimate children of the latter; (4) Parents and their illegitimate children and the legitimate and illegitimate children of the latter; (5) Legitimate brothers and sisters, whether of full or half-blood; and (6) Brothers and sisters not legitimately related, whether of the full or half-blood, except only when the need for support of the brother or sister, being of age, is due to a cause imputable to the claimant’s fault or negligence.

On the other hand, the amount of support should be in proportion to the resources or means of the giver and the necessities of the recipient, pursuant to Articles 194, 201 and 202 of the Family Code:

Art. 194. Support comprises everything indispensable for sustenance, dwelling, clothing, medical attendance, education and transportation, in keeping with the financial capacity of the family.

The education of the person entitled to be supported referred to in the preceding paragraph shall include his schooling or training for some profession, trade or vocation, even beyond the age of majority. Transportation shall include expenses in going to and from school, or to and from place of work.

Art. 201. The amount of support, in the cases referred to in Articles 195 and 196, shall be in proportion to the resources or means of the giver and to the necessities of the recipient.

Art. 202. Support in the cases referred to in the preceding article shall be reduced or increased proportionately, according to the reduction or increase of the necessities of the recipient and the resources or means of the person obliged to furnish the same.

If you’re a parent, it is safe to assume that you would want the best for your child and you wouldn’t hesitate to provide adequate support. However, it’s unfortunate that when it comes to support for the common children (whether legitimate or illegitimate), so many fathers still fail (or worse, simply refuse) to provide adequate support. Whatever the reason is, and regardless of whether or not these reasons are correct, the problem became pervasive, so much so that Congress saw it fit to “criminalize” (only against fathers) the withholding of support in certain instances. Not everyone knows that this is covered under Republic Act No. 9262, otherwise known as the “Anti-Violence Against Women and their Children Act of 2004”.

Not everyone also knows that R.A. 9262 provides for criminal sactions or penalties for failure to provide support or withholding custody, in certain cases. Well, now you know.

746 thoughts on “Legal Support for the Child and R.A. 9262

  1. akiraj

    good day!! my friend matagal ng kasal sa asawa nya kaso di sila magka anak…hanggang sa nagkabuntis sya sa ibang girl.. eversince sinabe ng girl na buntis sya at yung friend ko ang ama ay nagbibigay sya ng financial support hanggang ngayon na 11 yrs old na ang,, ask ko lang po..
    *tama po bang bigyan ng financila support kahit di pa sure kung anak ba talaga ng friend ko yung bata kasi kahit isang beses di nya nakita yung bata?!
    *tama bang magbanta yung girl na magpafile daw sya ng case against sa friend ko about sa support everytime na nadedelay ang padala ng pera?!
    *tama ba na magdemand pa ang girl ng mas mataas sa nagpag usapang amount lang na isusuporta?!
    please help us naman po kung anu dapat namin gawin…
    thank you!!

  2. Fely

    Hi,, PO hingi Lang PO ako Nan tulong may anak PO ako 7 years old,,at cmula nang pinanganak ko cia hndi po sinuportahan nang tatay,, na try ko po eh message Ang asawa nang tatay nang anak ko po,, na Kung pwede lang PO kausapin nya yung asawa nya na bka nman pwde bigyan nang sustento yung anak ko khit mag kanu Lang..Wala dn kasi akung contact sa tatay nang anak ko po , kaya sa asawa PO ako nang message…at Yun nga PO ayaw po nang asawa nya na mag bigay sustento sa anak..Anu po ba pwede Kung gawin pRa mag bigay sustento po yung tatay nang anak ko..

  3. Lady

    good morning po ..
    may anak po ako running 4 years old this nov. never po nag bigay yung ama nya ng sustento .. dahilan wala daw syang trabaho anu kaya ang pweding gwin .. and pwede po b ifix yung amount kung mag kanu ang ibibigay nya .. im 21 years old .. .. never po syang nag abot . sana matulongan nyo po ako ..

  4. badeth

    good morning po ..
    may anak po ako running 4 years old this nov. never po nag bigay yung ama nya ng sustento .. dahilan wala daw syang trabaho anu kaya ang pweding gwin .. and pwede po b ifix yung amount kung mag kanu ang ibibigay nya .. im 21 years old .. .. never po syang nag abot . sana matulongan nyo po ako ..

  5. Jam

    Hi. My partner happen to be an “alleged” father of the kid with his ex. But we are very doubtful about it because the girl has some history of being in a relationship with multiple people during the time that my partner and her are still together. Will the DNA test be a very powerful details or item for her not to be granted with her claim for child support?

    Thank you for your response.

  6. Monch

    May anak po ako sa 2nd wife ko. 3 po.
    Nung magkahiwalay kami ng mama nila d na ko nakapag bigay ng sustento kasi pinatanghal nya ko sa work ko. Lagi po sya napunta sa work ko at sinisiraan ako. So sabi ng mga boss ko mag resign na ko.Ginugulo nya ko. Nag part time job ako ginugulo pa rin. So sa ngayon wala po ako trabaho. D na ko matanggap sa trabaho kasi 51 years old na ko. Hirap humanap. So d ako makabigay. Nag pa legal yun mama nila. Ano po ba pwed ko gawin. Wala talaga ako maibigay. Gusto ko magbigay . Kasi mga anak ko naman sila. Halos 3 years na ko wala trabaho. Nag side line lang ako driver para mabuhay. Pero halos kulang pa pang gastos ko sa sarili ko. Payuhan nyo po ako. Ano po ba ikakaso sa tulad ko. Censya na po. D po ako mahusay sa english.

  7. Liza

    Good day po! I would like to know if meron po bang law sa Philippines on how to ask for child support from a foreign father who lives and work here and nabuntis po ang babae by one night stand. If he is using an alibi that he cant have a child due to a medical condition and hasnt prove it yet. And he also refused to have DNA test later on after the baby is born that will prove it. Where can women here in the Philippines go? Can we file complaint in the embassy against this guy who refused to cooperate on this case? Looking forward for your answer.

  8. Teelen

    Good day atty m.pwede kuna malamn Kung Anu pwde I file na kaso Sa ama Ng Anak ko…Kasi almost 1year na hndi cya ngsusuporta Sa Bata ..

  9. Suzy

    Sir patulong nman po ako sa support ng anak ko po…yong tatay niya po hindi po sapat ung binibigay niya na suporta oo sa anak namin..hindi po enough ung 500 a month na binibigay niya po..san po ako una pumunta para po i reklamo ko po ung tatay ng anak ko po…thank you po…god bless

  10. Enaj

    Hi Hello! PLEASE HELP! I have a Seamam Partner. We are not married yet. We are 3years together and we have 1yr old daughter . We live together with his family and his mom doesnt like me because I am undergrad and I dont have a work. She wanted a proffesional partner for his son but I didnt mind her. I loved my partner so much more than anything. But one time my partner decided to let me go home and he texted me bad words and he even cursed me. I took my daughter home and his mom was happy when I left.. I dont want to be broken. I love him so much and I badly need him as a partner and most importantly as my daughter’s dad. I’ve been calling him day and night. I chatted him. I texted him. I told him to settle our problem but I didnt recieve any reply from him. He is neglecting me. He didnt even realize that he has a daughter here with me. What should I do? I NEED TO ASK HIS SUPPORT FOR MY DAUGHTER IN A LEGAL WAY. BESIDES MY DAUGHTER HAVE HIS LAST NAME AND HE ALSO SIGNED THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE. HELP

  11. Crysel Mae

    Hi, i am about to give birth this month & Im planning not to indicate the father of my child on my child’s birth certificate. Me & the father of my child separated few months ago knowing the fact that I’m pregnant. I don’t want his name be indicated because I don’t want him to take my child in the future . Also, I’m trying to avoid conflicts bec. my ex-boyfriend has a child also w/ his ex-girlfriend before me . Knowing a bit of law, not indicating the father’s name on the birth cert. will void their right & responsibility to the child, so does it mean that he is also exempted on this law (RA 9262) ?

  12. nicole

    good day po,ask ko lamg po about sa anak ko.buntis po sya ngaun at 14 y/o palang po sya.ganon din po yong tatay ng dinadala nya.nangyari po ang lahat sa bahay ng lalaki.anu po ba pwede ako gawin para masustentuhan ng maayos ang anak ko ang ang maging apo ko ngaung pareho po sila minor?pwede po bang ang parents ng lalaki ang pagprovide ng pangangailangan ng mag ina?im single mom msyado po ako naaawa sa anak ko…

  13. Beng

    Hello po, maraming salamat po sa mga advices na binigay ninyo. May tanong lang po ako regarding sa illegitimate children ng deceased father ko. Nanghihingi po kasi ang mother nila ng financial help sa mother ko. Ang question ko po ay obligado ba po ang mother ko or ako to provide financial support sa kanila. Regarding sa inheritance and conjugal property nila, naitransfer na po sa akin ang title ng house bago pa namin nalaman na may anak ang father sa iba. Ang totoo nyan po halos lahat ng napundar ng parents ko ay galing sa paghihirap ng mother ko. Nagretire ang father ko at the age of 45, dati syang ofw. From then on, mother ko na ang sole breadwinner at binibigyan nya ng allowance ang father ko araw-araw. Yung pala nagkaroon sya ng babae at naganak siya dito ng dalawa. Nawawalan ang mother ko ng pera, nawalanlahat ng personal nyang mga gamit dahil kailangan nyang buhayin ang anak nya sa labas. Yung allowance nyang bigay ng mother ko, pinangsusuport nya sa mga bata. Nalaman na lang namin lahat , 12 years old na eldest nya sa kabit nya, which is after na ng pagtranfer ng title ng house sa akin. Namatay ang father last 2018 after a year of dialysis. Now, yung Nanay ng anak nya contacted my mother asking support. Kaya po ask ko po kung obligated ba kami under the law . Salamat po sa pagtiyaga sa pagbasa. Mabuhay po kayo at marami pang matulungan.

  14. Maricel palacios

    Gud eve..sana po matulungan nyo kapatid ko sa prolem nya..ang kapatid ko po sabihin natin mistress sya kasi hindi cla kasal ng lalake.meron clang anak isa po 12yrs old..ngayun po ang prob po meron po syang another na babae at hiniwalayan ang kapatid putulin nya na daw yung sustento nya sa anak nya..e wala pong trabaho ang kapatid ko kasi huminto sya sa trabaho nung nabunyis sya po..ang lalake po ay isang mechanical engineer nakabase sa quatar malak8 po sahod nya sa totoo lng po..anu po ang dapat gawin ng kapatid ko po..?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.