[In its Resolution No. 106-A dated 27 March 2021, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infections Disease (IATF) placed certain areas under Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ), effective immediately until 4 April 2021. These areas are: (1) Bulacan; (2) Cavite; (3) Laguna; (4) Rizal; and (5) the highly urbanized cities of the National Capital Region and the municipality of Pateros. The full text of Resolution No. 106-A is reproduced below.]
RESOLUTION NO. 106-A
Series of 2021 (March 27, 2021)
WHEREAS, Section 2(b) of Executive Order No. 168 mandates the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infections Diseases to prevent and/or minimize the entry of suspected or confirmed patients with emerging infectious diseases into the country;
WHEREAS, on September 16, 2020, the President issued Proclamation No. 1021 (s.2020) extending the period of the State of Calamity throughout the Philippines until September 21, 2021;
WHEREAS, the Department of Health (DOH) received reports regarding a new variant of the SARS-CoV-2 (B.1.1.7 or VUI 2020/12/01) spreading in the United Kingdom including the imposition of travel restrictions on countries/jurisdictions where the new COVID-19 variants were officially reported, and subjected Filipino citizens coming from the same countries/jurisdictions to an absolute 14-day quarantine period notwithstanding a negative Reverse-Transcription-Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test result;
WHEREAS, the continued implementation of proactive measures and restrictions must be put in place to slow down the surge in COVID-19 cases, stop further spread of variants, buy time for the health system to cope, and to protect more lives;
WHEREAS, as of March 26, 2021, there are a total of One Hundred Nine Thousand Eighteen (109,018) cases in the Philippines.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, as it is hereby resolved, that the IATF endorses the following to the Office of the President for his approval:
A. The Subject Area comprising the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal together with the highly urbanized cities of the National Capital Region, and the municipality of Pateros pursuant to the Memorandum of the Executive Secretary dated March 21, 2021, shall be placed under Enhanced Community Quarantine immediately upon approval until April 04, 2021. The National Task Force (NTF) Against COVID-19, relevant national government agencies, and local government units are to implement and report on the following measures:
1. On Prevention – strictly comply and monitor adherence to public health standards and safety protocols:
- a. Enable adherence to minimum public health standards even at home;
- b. Distribute and promote use of personal protective equipment such as face masks and face shields and;
- c. Retrofit workplaces, establishments, and public places to ensure adequate ventilation, and compliance to engineering and administrative controls developed by the Department of Trade and Industry and Department of Labor and Employment.
2. On Detection – ensure swift detection of cases and tracing of close contacts
- a. Establish Dharavi-like centers at the community that will actively look for suspect cases, test, contact trace, and isolate them;
- b. Ensure that LGUs should isolate, test, and contact trace suspect cases within 24 hours of their detection;
- c. 95% of close contacts must be traced AND isolated/quarantined within 24 hours of case notification;
- d. LGU and Regional Epidemiological Surveillance Units to ensure continuous sample submission for biosurveillance (Whole Genome Sequencing) and continuous COVID-19 testing laboratory operations, even during the observance of holidays;
- e. The procurement of utilization of Rapid Antigen Test Kits approved by the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) and the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) for surveillance. Provided that the funds to be used therefore shall not be sourced from the DOH and that the use thereof follow existing guidelines of the DOH.
3. On Isolation – immediate and complete quarantine isolation
- a. Ensure that only less than ten percent (10%) of cases and close contacts are on home isolation/quarantine;
- b. Ensure that the mandated fourteen (14)-day quarantine and ten (10)-day isolation are monitored and completed.
4. On Treatment – ensure that the referral mechanism of treatment facilities are well coordinated and that the support for such facilities are adequate
- a. Reduce occupancy by asymptomatic and mild cases to <10% of COVID-19 dedicated beds and ensure that they are navigated to the Temporary Treatment and Monitoring Facilities (TTMF);
- b. Ensure that there are adequate number of COVID-19 dedicated beds, complementary health human resources, and well-coordinated facilities, and health facilities.
5. Parallel implementation and scale up of vaccination efforts especially in high burden areas.
Further, the NTF is directed to set indicators and weekly targets to be achieved and monitored consistently. For this purpose, an LGU Scorecard with clear targets shall be set for guidance of the LGUs and assessment and monitoring of the DILG. The NTF, DILG, and other concerned agencies shall, on a weekly basis, assess to ensure that the aforementioned indicators, targets, and measures are reviewed, areas requiring additional attention and augmentation identified, and status reported to the IATF to guide ongoing response and inputs to determine need for extension of the ECQ in the Subject Area.
B. With the imposition of Enhanced Community Quarantine in the Subject Areas, provisions applicable to ECQ areas as provided for in the Omnibus Guidelines in the Implementation of Community Quarantine in the Philippines, as amended, shall be in effect subject to the following amendments to be observed during this period:
- Essential and priority construction projects, whether public or private, shall likewise be allowed to continue their operation in accordance with guidelines issued by the Department of Public Works and Highways;
- The road, rail, maritimes, and aviation sectors of public transportation shall be allowed to operate at such capacity and following the protocols as provided for by the DOTr;
- The IATF Technical Working Group is directed to review and provide recommendations to other amendments as may be required in the IATF Omnibus Guidelines to be implemented during said period. The IATF Chairperson and Co-Chairperson shall be authorized to approve any and such recommendations.
C. All other previous IATF Resolutions inconsistent with the foregoing for said period such as, but not limited to, IATF Resolution No. 105, issued on March 25, 2021, is hereby repealed and modified accordingly.
RESOLVED FURTHER, that the Chairperson and the Co-Chairperson shall be duly authorized to sign this Resolution for and on behalf of the Inter-Agency Task Force.
APPROVED during the 106th Inter-Agency Task Force Meeting, as reflected in the minutes of the meeting, held this 27th of March 2021 via video conference.
FRANCISCO T. DUQUE III
Secretary, Department of Health (IATF Chairperson)
KARLO ALEXEI B. NOGRALES
Secretary, Office of the Cabinet Secretary (IATF Co-Chairperson)
- Extension of Filing Periods and Suspension of Hearings for March 29 to April 4, 2021: SC Administrative Circular No. 14-2021 (Full Text) - March 28, 2021
- ECQ Bubble for NCR, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal: Resolution No. 106-A (Full Text) - March 27, 2021
- Guidelines on the Administration of COVID-19 Vaccines in the Workplaces (Labor Advisory No. 3) - March 12, 2021