Annulment, Divorce and Legal Separation in the Philippines: Questions and Answers

There are many questions relating to annulment and divorce in the Philippines, and many of the concerns of our readers had already been addressed in previous articles. Nevertheless, to consolidate everything for everyone’s easy reference, here are the FAQs on annulment and divorce in the Philippines:

Annulment, Divorce, Legal Separation in the Philippines Questions and Answers 1

Is divorce allowed under Philippine laws?

No, divorce is not allowed in the Philippines. However, there are certain instances wherein the divorce secured abroad by the foreigner-spouse, and even by Filipinos, are recognized under Philippine laws. [See also: Judicial Recognition of a Foreign Divorce Decree and Mixed Marriages and Divorce]

Would it make any difference if I marry abroad where divorce is allowed?

No. Filipinos are covered by this prohibition based on the “nationality principle”, regardless of wherever they get married (and regardless where they get a decree of divorce). Discussions relating to Overseas Filipinos or OFWs are transferred in Part V.

Is “annulment” different from a “declaration of nullity” of marriage?

Yes. In essence, “annulment” applies to a marriage that is considered valid, but there are grounds to nullify it. A “declaration of nullity” of marriage, on the other hand, applies to marriages that are void or invalid from the very beginning. In other words, it was never valid in the first place. [See Grounds for Annulment of Marriage and Grounds for Declaration of Nullity of Marriage]

Also, an action for annulment of voidable marriages may prescribe, while an action for declaration of nullity of marriage does not prescribe.

So, if a marriage is void from the very beginning (void ab initio), there’s no need to file anything in court?

For purposes of remarriage, there must be a court order declaring the marriage as null and void. Entering into a subsequent marriage without such court declaration means that: (a) the subsequent marriage is void; and (b) the parties open themselves to a possible charge of bigamy.

What if no marriage certificate could be found?

Justice Sempio-Dy, in the “Handbook of on the Family Code of the Philippines” (p. 26, 1997 reprint), says: “The marriage certificate is not an essential or formal requisite of marriage without which the marriage will be void. An oral marriage is, therefore, valid, and failure of a party to sign the marriage certificate or the omission of the solemnizing officer to send a copy of the marriage certificate to the proper local civil registrar, does not invalidate the marriage. Also the mere fact that no record of marriage can be found, does not invalidate the marriage provided all the requisites for its validity are present.” (Citations omitted)

Can I file a petition (annulment or declaration of absolute nullity of marriage) even if I am in a foreign country?

Yes, the rules recognize and allow the filing of the petition by Filipinos who are overseas. [See also How to File a Case for Annulment in the Philippines while Abroad]

What are the grounds for annulment?

  • 1. Lack of parental consent in certain cases. If a party is 18 years or over, but below 21, and the marriage was solemnized without the consent of the parents/guardian. However, the marriage is validated if, upon reaching 21, the spouses freely cohabited with the other and both lived together as husband and wife.
  • 2. Insanity. A marriage may be annulled if, at the time of marriage, either party was of unsound mind, unless such party after coming to reason, freely cohabited with the other as husband and wife.
  • 3. Fraud. The consent of either party was obtained by fraud, unless such party afterwards, with full knowledge of the facts constituting the fraud, freely cohabited with the other as husband and wife. Fraud includes: (i) non-disclosure of a previous conviction by final judgment of the other party of a crime involving moral turpitude; (ii) concealment by the wife of the fact that at the time of the marriage, she was pregnant by a man other than her husband; (iii) concealment of sexually transmissible disease or STD, regardless of its nature, existing at the time of the marriage; or (iv) concealment of drug addiction, habitual alcoholism or homosexuality or lesbianism existing at the time of the marriage. However, no other misrepresentation or deceit as to character, health, rank, fortune or chastity shall constitute such fraud as will give grounds for action for the annulment of marriage.
  • 4. Force, intimidation or undue influence. If the consent of either party was obtained by any of these means, except in cases wherein the force, intimidation or undue influence having disappeared or ceased, the complaining party thereafter freely cohabited with the other as husband and wife.
  • 5. Impotence. At the time of marriage, either party was physically incapable of consummating the marriage with the other, and such incapacity continues and appears to be incurable. Impotence is different from being infertile.
  • 6. STD. If, at the time of marriage, either party was afflicted with a sexually-transmissible disease found to be serious and appears to be incurable. If the STD is not serious or is curable, it may still constitute fraud (see No. 3 above).

[See also: Grounds for Annulment of Marraige]

What if a spouse discovers that his/her spouse is a homosexual or is violent, can he/she ask for annulment?

Homosexuality or physical violence, by themselves, are not sufficient to nullify a marriage. At the very least, however, these grounds may be used as basis for legal separation.

How is “legal separation” different from annulment?

The basic difference is this – in legal separation, the spouses are still considered married to each other, and, thus, may not remarry. [See: Steps / Procedure in Legal Separation Cases]

Is legal separation faster than annulment?

Not necessarily. The petitioner in a legal separation, just like in an annulment, is still required to prove the allegations contained in the petition. More important is the mandatory 6-month “cooling off” period in legal separation cases. This is not required in annulment or declaration of nullity cases. The court is required to schedule the pre-trial conference not earlier than six (6) months from the filing of the petition. This period is meant to give the spouses an opportunity for reconciliation.

What are the grounds for legal separation?

1. Repeated physical violence or grossly abusive conduct directed against the petitioner, a common child, or a child of the petitioner.

2. Physical violence or moral pressure to compel the petitioner to change religious or political affiliation.

3. Attempt of respondent to corrupt or induce the petitioner, a common child, or a child of the petitioner, to engage in prostitution, or connivance in such corruption or inducement.

4. Final judgment sentencing the respondent to imprisonment of more than six years, even if pardoned.

5. Drug addiction or habitual alcoholism of the respondent.

6. Lesbianism or homosexuality of the respondent.

7. Contracting by the respondent of a subsequent bigamous marriage, whether in the Philippines or abroad.

8. Sexual infidelity or perversion.

9. Attempt by the respondent against the life of the petitioner.

10. Abandonment of petitioner by respondent without justifiable cause for more than one year.

The term “child” shall include a child by nature or by adoption.

[See also: Grounds for Legal Separation]

Should I file a petition for legal separation, can I use my own sexual infidelity as a ground?

It is interesting to note that among the grounds for legal separation, as listed above, only “sexual infidelity or perversion” is not qualified by the phrase “of the respondent” or “by respondent”. This may give the impression that the sexual infidelity of the petitioner, or the one who filed the petition, may be used as a ground in legal separation. We must consider, however, that legal separation is filed by the innocent spouse or the “aggrieved party” against the guilty spouse.

What happens if after learning that your husband (or wife) is unfaithful (No. 8 above), you still co-habitate with him/her?

This may be construed as condonation, which is a defense in actions for legal separation. In addition to condonation, the following are the defenses in legal separation:

  • 1. Consent.
  • 2. Connivance (in the commission of the offense or act constituting the ground for legal separation).
  • 3. Mutual guilt (both parties have given ground for legal separation).
  • 4. Collusion (to obtain decree of legal separation).
  • 5. Prescription (5 years from the occurence of the cause for legal separation).

If you’re separated from your spouse for 4 years, is that a sufficient ground for annulment?

No. De facto separation is not a ground for annulment. However, the absence of 2 or 4 years, depending on the circumstances, may be enough to ask the court for a declaration of presumptive death of the “absent spouse”, in which case the petitioner may again re-marry. [See also: Can someone remarry without going to court due to absence or separation?; and How Many Years Before a Marriage Becomes Void in the Philippines]

What are the grounds for declaration of nullity of marriage?

1. Minority (those contracted by any party below 18 years of age even with the consent of parents or guardians).

2. Lack of authority of solemnizing officer (those solemnized by any person not legally authorized to perform marriages, unless such marriages were contracted with either or both parties believing in good faith that the solemnizing officer had the legal authority to do so).

3. Absence of marriage license (except in certain cases).

4. Bigamous or polygamous marriages (except in cases where the other spouse is declared as presumptively dead).

5. Mistake in identity (those contracted through mistake of one contracting party as to the identity of the other).

6. After securing a judgement of annulment or of asolute nullity of mariage, the parties, before entering into the subsequent marriage, failed to record with the appropriate registry the: (i) partition and distribute the properties of the first marriage; and (ii) delivery of the children’s presumptive legitime.

7. Incestous marriages (between ascendants and descendants of any degree, between brothers and sisters, whether of the full or half blood).

8. Void by reason of public policy. Marriages between (i) collateral blood relatives whether legitimate or illegitimate, up to the fourth civil degree; (ii) step-parents and step-children; (iii) parents-in-law and children-in-law; (iv) adopting parent and the adopted child; (v) surviving spouse of the adopting parent and the adopted child; (vi) surviving spouse of the adopted child and the adopter; (vii) an adopted child and a legitimate child of the adopter; (viii) adopted children of the same adopter; and (ix) parties where one, with the intention to marry the other, killed that other person’s spouse, or his or her own spouse.

9. Psychological Incapacity. Psychological incapacity, which a ground for annulment of marriage, contemplates downright incapacity or inability to take cognizance of and to assume the basic marital obligations; not a mere refusal, neglect or difficulty, much less, ill will, on the part of the errant spouse. Irreconcilable differences, conflicting personalities, emotional immaturity and irresponsibility, physical abuse, habitual alcoholism, sexual infidelity or perversion, and abandonment, by themselves, also do not warrant a finding of psychological incapacity. We already discussed the guidelines and illustrations of psychological incapacity, including a case involving habitual lying, as well as the steps and procedure in filing a petition.

[See also: Grounds for Declaration of Nullity of Marriage]

Please note, however, that there are still other grounds to declare a marriage as null and void.


Browse through the comments below to check if your questions are similar to that of others. Other common issues are consolidated in Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Costs in seeking an Annulment, and other related posts. You can check the Related Posts at the bottom of each post.


884 thoughts on “Annulment, Divorce and Legal Separation in the Philippines: Questions and Answers

  1. Atty. FredAtty. Fred Post author

    Guys, sorry for the delayed reply, there were technical problems with the blog. First off, please understand that we are prohibited from giving legal advice in this Forum, so you may notice that we have declined from answering some of the questions. Nevertheless, as to general matters, here are some notes that may hopefully point you in the right direction.

    1. As discussed somewhere, it is indispensable, for the purpose of remarriage, to seek an annulment or an order declaring a marriage as null and void. Ckeck with the NSO if a marriage certificate is on file. There’s such a thing as a CENOMAR or a “Certificate of No Marriage Record” (read here).

    2. A decree of annulment may be issued without the other party appearing in court. In fact, the signature or appearance of the other spouse doesn’t mean that the petition will be granted. The other spouse may choose NOT to appear, which is the reason why the public prosecutor is under obligation to check if there’s no collusion between the parties.

    3. There’s a requisite dispensation before someone whose marriage had been annuled may get married again in church.

    By the way, angel_jasmine, I can’t understand your question. Please clarify.

    Good luck to everyone.

    1. Avatarjdy

      hi I just want to ask kindly if a lady separated from ex husband more than 7 years there is no relationship anmore after legal marriage in Philippines and than the lady converted to Islam from chruschinty now she is muslim and can she remarry to Muslim man legally if she will do this so about Philippines law thanks

    2. AvatarGrace

      Hello sir.
      Just wanna ask that I’m separated for 15 years and I don’t have any contact on him.
      Can I get married again

    3. AvatarSandy

      Hello can married again when you are still married from ur past unless you filed an annulment case. If you have more question to asked you can pm me in my fb account.sandy boncayao

    4. AvatarFranz

      Atty hingi lng po ako hiwalay n po ako una ko asawa for almost 9 years po last 2007 nagfile po ako ng annulment sa court sa phil.last 2011 pero di po yun natapos sa ngayon po ay australian citizen n po ako plano ko po magfile ng devorce sa x wife ko po dahil may sariling pamilya n po ko d2 at gusto ko po maging legal n pagsasama namin ang tanong ko po kung magrant po yun devorce ko sa kanya pwede ko din po maging basehan e2 para magrant na din po annulment namin

    5. Avatarmylene

      i have afriend that had a live in partner who’s been married before, they were separated 5 years ago, but not legally separated or annuled when they into their relationship.the reason of the separation was the wife’s infidelity. .they have a son , and the wife want to petition their child because she was living in states and already an american citizen.wala na din sila communication except sa child’s need. pwede na po ba sila magpakasal ng friend ko though hindi pa annulled?
      may mga property na ipinangalan sa friend case there will be circumstances happen , maki claim ba yon ng ex nya??

    6. Avataranaliza

      sir hingi po aq ng advice 2015 kinasal kmi ng husband ko kasi nbuntis po aq 3mons old npu yung baby ko nung kinasal po kmi tapos po pktpos po g kasal nmin pmnta po kmi sa lugar nila ntuklasan ko po my pamilya pla sya nauna my dalawang anak npu sya sa lugar nila ..d ngsama parin po kmi tumagat po 2 buwan wala po sya trabaho inom dito inom doon halos umaga npu nauwe sa bahay nkatira po kmi sa bhay ng magulang nya so iisang bubong lng po kmi hndi po sya ntrabaho umaasa lng po sa mama nya hnggang umabot po sa punto kpag nkainom o lasing bigla nlng po aq sinasaktan kasi nsa influncia ng alak po..hnggang po ulit aqo umuwe po kmi dito sa probinsya family ko 6mons po yng tyan ko hnnggang nanganak po aq last year po 2017 umalis po asawaq ng ofw po saudi january nito pong taon ok nmn po komunikasyon nmin pero po pgdating feb pwala wala na po pero po buwan buwan po npdla budget ng mga bta 5k a month hangang nlaman ko nlng po my babae npu pla asawaq duon iisa kng sila sa xompanyang pinapasokan nito pung buwan msmo pung sa babae ko nlaman n my relasyon po tlga sila ng asawaq ..hnggang ngayon po block po aq ng asawaq lhat ng kontak..yung bbae npu nkkpg komunicate sakin sa gnito po bng sitwasyon pwese mpwalang bisa kasal nmn ng asawaq kapag mgfile po aq ng annulment slamat po pleazs reply me attorney

  2. Avatarangel_jasmine

    Thanks for the reply atty. fred but I’m still confused.

    So are you saying that eventhough the wife (currently in America and has a divorce decree herself; neither a US immigrant or a US citizen) doesn’t appear in court and doesn’t sign any document in the process of the annulment, the husband can still acquire a decree of annulment? On what grounds can the petition be granted? how long does it normally take?

    If the husband has a copy of the divorce decree, can this be used as a strong evidence that can expedite the process of the annulment? Does the phil. court recognized the divorce decree as legal eventhough the wife is not a citizen of America?

    Can the wife, eventhough not yet annuled, get married in America to a US immigrant? or does it have to be a US citizen to completely consider the previous marriage null?

    Does the wife have the right to have a copy of the annulment decree eventhough she didn’t do anything in the process? What does she need to do to obtain a copy? where?

    I would appreciate your response.

  3. Atty. FredAtty. Fred Post author

    Jasmine, yes, it’s possible to secure an annulment or a declaration of nullity even if the other spouse does not appear or sign anything. As I mentioned earlier, this is the reason why the public prosecutor is under obligation to check if there’s a collusion between the spouses. Please read again this article, because the grounds are discussed in it. In my estimate, the average length of time is 1 year, and it may be shorter or longer depending on the circumstances.

    As long as the spouse seeking the divorce is a Filipino (a former Filipino is an entirely difference matter), any divorce decree issued is not recognized under Phil. laws.

    For your other queries, please check the other articles. You may use the search function the right sidebar.

    Good luck.

    1. AvatarCat

      Gudpm attorney
      My katanungan lang po ako married sa pinas ng forigner tapos ngdevorse sa forigner country pano po ifile dto sa pinas ung annulment dhil wla nmn devorce dto pa reply nmn po ako

    2. AvatarSandy

      Hello cat. Kung nakapagdivorce na sya pede ire cognize dito sa me in may fb for more info po.sandy boncayao

    3. AvatarLouie

      Hi sir.. i dont know if active pba tong blog mu .. pero i hope na sana active pa ..
      Minabuti ko ng magreply sa message mu po bka saking mapansin mu ang katanunangan ko.

      As u said above.. if the marraige is void from the very beginning thers no need to file to the court?
      Would that mean na pwede ng magpa kasal anytime ..
      I have a gf and they have been in a void marraige since then.
      What happen is this.. theyv got to both signed a marraige contract that has no civil registrar no. Wc is not a legit paper .and shes 16 yrs of age back then.
      She uses single status on all of her documents. She also able to get a CENOMAR at civil office..
      Atty. Fred sir.. masasabi nyu po ba na pwede na kmi ikasal anytime we want..? If yes .. my question is.. how about the father of her children .. may karapatan po ba sya na mapigilan ang gf ko na ikasal ulit and this time in a legit way..
      And sir .. theyre living in a same house right now . And kinakausap ko gf ko and she said gnagwa nya yun para sa mga anak nya ..
      Theyre living together ever since po.. but now we are deciding to be married .. is this possible sir Fred..
      I hope u may consider answering my querry. Thanks in advance and more power to ure career.. i adore your intentions of helping us to get aware of some legal matters such this.. ????

  4. Avatarrwan

    with regards to ur jan27 reply to my msg, can i at least register a property (should i buy one) under my 9-yr old son? how does this go?

    tnx again

  5. Atty. FredAtty. Fred Post author

    Rwan, in general, minors must be represented by parents or guardians. In other words, contracts (and the subsequent transfer) are signed by the parent or guardian, in trust for the minor. However, please don’t take this as entirely suitable for your purposes, because there may be other concerns that I don’t know of (besides, I can’t possibly go into those details).

    Good luck.

  6. Avatark_pm

    Sorry I think I have post this question to a wrong window/topic.

    I would like to inquire about the role the state regarding filing a bigamy case. Can anyone file the charges if somebody they know commited the crime? A family member of the spouse or friend?

  7. Avatarishin07

    hi atty,

    got a question if an immigrant divorce his/her partner outside the philippines and after a year became a citizen does the divorce decree applies here in the philippnes and does his/her betterhalf can remarry again? thanks!

  8. Avataremcoluk

    Isn’t it true that a legal separation in the Philippines involves everything a divorce does in a western country except for the fact the couple cannot remarry…thank you

  9. Atty. FredAtty. Fred Post author

    k_pm, under the Revised Rules of Criminal Procedure, the following crimes must be initiated by the offended party: adultery, concubinage, seduction, adbuction, acts of lasciviousness, and defamation consisting of imputation of these offenses. You will note that bigamy is not one of them.

    ishin, if I remember correctly, an immigrant does not lose his/her Filipino citizenship. As repeatedly mentioned in this blog, a divorce secured by a Filipino citizen, as a rule, is not recognized here.

    emcoluk, I’m not sure if legal separation, vis-a-vis divorce in a western country, involves “everything” other than the capacity to remarry. Still, I’m not aware of anything that differentiates it other than the capacity to remarry.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.